Saturday 30 November 2013

Day 8-9: Pattaya, then Koh Chang!

Thursday we had to catch a flight at 5am to Bangkok! I was grossly tired on the flight and just slept for the trip. We arrived and then straight away went to catch a coach to Pattaya where we would stay for a night. The ride was a couple of hours but it was very comfortable so it was alright. I just watched stuff on my laptop and relaxed.

Pattaya was super hot! I had never felt the sun so strongly on my skin it was ridiculous. But, once in shade it was really nice. We left our bags at Heather's mums friends house which is where we stayed. Their house was really cute! It was so nice. We didn't stay long though - we went out almost straight away to the Floating Markets.

I don't have any photos because I left my camera at home thinking we were just going to normal markets. I was mad when I realised we were going to the floating markets! (But also really excited). They were awesome, but a bit expensive to enter. All of the markets were positioned over this lake and I was worried about falling in. In the water, there were people sitting in little boats and were selling and making food! It was super cute.

When we arrived we got this special deal where we got to do a few things for 900 baht. The first was a ride on a boat around the floating markets. To be honest, it was quite scary because when the boat turned a little it felt like we would fall in. But, at the same time it was really relaxing and I didn't want to get off! Then we headed over to have a fish bath as part of the deal, but we didn't really do it. It was scary because as soon as you put your feet in the fish swarming to you and like ate your legs! I understand that it is good for you but it's just weird and at some point the fish just felt like leeches (they wouldn't let go even out of water).

Then the final part of the deal was a fancy boat ride on this really large boat. BUT, when we thought we would be doing another trip around the water, the boat suddenly turned into a car and went on land. It took us around this track which was to show different parts of the culture of Thailand and it was pretty cool. We also got free soft drink and tequila! But, the tequila smelt like dimetapp and vodka combined so I was worried it would be too strong - then Andrew confirmed that it was really strong.

After that we just walked around and looked for some food. I got some deep fried ice cream and it was the greatest food! Then I got some crab meat balls which were also pretty good. Trying to find the right exit to where the car was was really hard! There were so many directions and the markets were huge. Eventually we found our way out one of the exits and decided to walk around the outside until we found where we were meant to go.

That night, we went out for dinner at a seafood restaurant! It was cool because all the food ordered was basically to share with everyone. I had a lot of shrimp to the point where I think I ate too much! But, it was really fun trying the food with everyone. There was also a girl who was assigned to our table and had to fill up our drinks whenever they got almost empty! It was so confusing sometimes because I would think I don't have any water then turn my head again and it would be filled! I loved it though.

After dinner we went to Walker Street which is basically the Hindley street of Pattaya (only worse) but I think it's better! All of the bars were like open so there were no walls on the street side of the clubs. There were boxing rings in some and mechanical bulls in the middle of streets and also some dancers dancing in the windows! It felt amazing to walk down there but we did have to be a bit cautious of pickpocketers. The best part was probably a woman coming up and asking if we wanted a photo with the CUTEST monkey on the planet for 100 baht. I got to pet it for a little before Heather said "I'm not going to pay 100 baht for a photo" and she turned right around as if we didn't exist! It was a sad farewell.

The next day was another early start as we had to take another coach to Koh Chang! I was really ready to go so I went outside to put on my shoes but LUCKILY I decided to shake them first! This was probably the most traumatic experience of my life so I'll tell you. I shook the first shoe and a large spider fell out and onto the ground and so of course I decided to shake the next shoe. I was shaking for a little bit but eventually I heard this huge plop on the ground! I look down and realise there was a massage frog just in my shoe! It was so scary and I didn't know what to do. Apparently it's good luck to have a frog in your shoe - so I better get some luck after that ordeal!

The coach ride itself was much more uncomfortable but because I was sleeping it was alright. We were on it for even longer than the last one. My main issue was the woman in front of me putting her seat all the way down, so I didn't have any leg room. And when I moved, so did she and she did the same thing! Super annoying.

We arrived to Koh Chang on a ferrie! It was still very sunny outside. We had issues at first making it to where we were staying because our taxi driver didn't take us to the right place and so we waited in a little cafe for a car from the place to pick us up. While we were waiting we saw a super fat warthog just walking around, it was so funny!

Where we are staying is really nice and the beaches are so lovely here! I could probably get used to this kind of relaxing lifestyle - so much so I can't really be bothered uploading photos that I DO have. I might tomorrow.

Cya! (-‿◦☀)


No comments:

Post a Comment