Monday 25 November 2013

Day 4: Temple Run

Today was the earliest start yet. I woke up at 7am so I could be ready to eat breakfast and be picked up by 8:30. We were meeting up with Heather's mum, aunt and cousins to visit the temples. The car ride was super fun because instead of the tight seats in the back, we all sat in the trunk - which was basically the size of a bed. Because you don't have to wear seat belts here or anything it was just super relaxing to sit in the back of the car and having the freedom to move whenever was really cool. There were some times where we were rolling around a lot, but it was pretty funny.

We arrived at the temple and there were stalls everywhere. Like the waterfall park, there were heaps of dogs everywhere just sleeping. They had a sign saying we weren't allowed to touch them though. I though. We climbed a lot of steps and when we got to the top Heather's mum said the 200 step climb was only just about to start. I had never had a more strenuous step climb in my life and if I'm being honest I'm not sure if I could do it again. With the sun and the heat and my unfitness, by the time we reached the top I was grossly exhausted. I think had it not been for the gorgeous scenery and the anticipation to see the temple I would have given up.










Inside the temple made climbing the stairs totally worth it. We had to remove our shoes - and I was told to wear an outfit that didn't show too much skin out of respect. Heather had to wear a wrap around skirt thing - not sure what they're called - but they were really nice. The entire temple was covered in detail and gold. I don't think all of it was real gold but it certainly looked it. There were times when I didn't even know what to look at because everything was so beautiful. Everyone was praying and it was really nice.





When we left the temple, Heather's mum bought a cage of birds to set free for good luck. It was pretty cool but my camera was acting up at this point - I think because of how bright the sun was.




Afterwards we visited Bhubing Palace, which is one of the King of Thailand's many residents. It was really beautiful and there were tonnes of flower gardens! The King wasn't there at the time, but I doubt we would have seen him anyway. I'm glad we got to walk around there, but the stairs there were killing me too! I'm glad I didn't need to cover up for the palace either.




We began a trip to go to the hot springs, but after driving for a couple hours (I think?), we decided not to go as it was still very far away compared to temples that we had intended to visit anyway. I slept for a lot of the car ride because I was super tired - but it was a really comfortable sleep which was good!

When we arrived at the next temple I decided to pray with Heather. It was really nice and I'm glad I did it! I wish I could have read the prayer that you're supposed to, but obviously I couldn't. Every temple we visited was very beautiful and they each had distinct characteristics. The second temple we visited was completely gold inside and had a huge display of Buddha. There were many flags hanging and in the centre of the room was a large golden cup that you could make a wish and make a donation in. We didn't stay at the third temple for very long but it was also beautiful - this time it was mostly wooden with some gold.





By the time we had visited the last temple, the street markets that occur once a week had started and they were massive! I don't even think it's possible to see everything in the markets in one night alone. We were there for hours and had only covered one side of the markets and there were so many cool things to see! I bought a bag which is super nice! But, after walking around all day my feet were really starting to burn.

Tomorrow we are just going to have a relaxing day - catch up on some sleep and maybe check out some other markets and just hang out. I'm excited! Cya! \(^▽^@)ノ

Food snaps:







No comments:

Post a Comment