Saturday 23 November 2013

Day 2: Chiang Mai

It was an early start of 5am this morning and I was beyond tired! It felt a little sad leaving Bangkok before we explored really, but I'm happy knowing that I'll be going there sometime next week. As always, I got a bit stressed putting my baggage through and my stomach was still in a constant mix of being hungry and painful.



We had a bit of time to wait for the plane, but both me and Andrew were way too tired to do anything. It felt strange because all of the terminal gates were lined up but they didn't connect to a plane. Instead, we stepped out the door and headed towards a cute and pretty colourful looking bus! We jumped on and then we were driven to our plane. It was so hot, though!

The plane ride felt super short and we were greeted by Heather and her family at the airport! I was beaming because I had no issues with my flights over whatsoever and made it to Chiang Mai in one piece. It was hot outside again, but not nearly as hot as Bangkok.

There is a little walk before we reach our hotel and it's so cute! There are some really nice looking food places and even a massage place right near where we are staying. Everything is so colourful it makes me really happy.
























Our hotel is so nice as well. Everyone here speaks English so there aren't any problems with communication. Across the road is also a pool that we can go swim in for only 100 baht which is super tempting to me (especially because of the humidity)!


My room is super cosy too! It has a really strong fan and I get it alllllll to myself! The only downside is there are a few pictures of children staring at you on my wall (which you can't see in the photo), but hopefully I can ignore that with the lights off haha. Ignore the mess in the photo! My room was the dumping ground before the others could get to check into their room.
























Because there isn't a lot to do at the hotel, we decided to go to the Kad Luang Airport Mall. It was amazing there! There were so many interesting things going on, and it had multiple aquariums! We first headed towards the cinema so we could book our tickets for the movie Catching Fire. It was really cool seeing so many Christmas decorations around. I love Christmas and their displays were the best. I wish Adelaide did cool ones like here!



After we looked around for a bit and ate some food, Heather's parents left and me, Heather and Andrew went to go see Catching Fire! I had been excited for this movie for so long so I was really excited. At the cinema they had this flavour of popcorn called cheesy popcorn, and it was pretty good but after a while got a bit sickly - but only when certain pieces were completely covered in the flavour! The cinema itself was so much cooler than any I had ever seen before. It was fancy and the seats were leaning back slightly so it was super comfortable. It was interesting seeing different ads in the cinema and some of them were pretty funny (even though I didn't know what they were saying). The most different thing was standing to pay respect to the King, which was actually kind of emotional. There was a nice slideshow that showed while we stood in silence before the movie started. Catching Fire was amaaaazing and everything was how I imagined! Super happy!!

























On our way home we took a tuk tuk and it was sooooo much fun! It felt so free and amazing, I tried to take a few photos of us all on it but because of the wind, angle and fear of losing my camera out the side we couldn't get any good ones!
























I was already pretty tired by this point so we all decided to go for a massage. We chose the oil massage rather than the Thai massage because we were scared it would really hurt. It turns out that an oil massage hurts just as much when they finds knots they can crank out. Most of my time was really painful but afterwards I felt really good - aside from all the oil still on me. Just what I needed, though.


We then joined Heather's dad and his friend at a bar (I forget the name) and I got some "French Fried" and some tempura shrimp! It was delicious and I wish I could eat more hahaha! We also got a drink but the vodka was so strong that it was really hard to finish. Though, there was some interesting in house entertainment that was a bit unexpected. The music became really loud and these two girls wearing white masks came out and started dancing! I forgot my camera when this happened but I got some photos from Heather's camera. They were really nice and even posed for a photo afterwards.












Later on we went down to the markets to see if there was anything to buy. I bought two lantern lamps that are really pretty but I'm not sure if it was a good buy or not? I'm super bad at buying things and knowing whether I'll regret it or not but hopefully I won't. I just need to make sure they stay safe. There were a lot of interesting things there and people were constantly trying to grab your attention, but were always very nice.






It's the end of the night I'm so tired and it's such a relief to be able to sleep in a cosy bed. Cya! ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ


Food snaps:




No comments:

Post a Comment