Wednesday 27 January 2016

5/12/15-25/12/15 - Christmas in Japan

I celebrated Christmas throughout the month of December and every celebration was just as great as the last. My first celebration was at my part-time job. A job that I have grown to really enjoy. Me and my coworkers were invited to a Christmas party on the 5th of December. We were told to wear something red for the occasion. The night consisted of eating, playing games and talking with guests. The games we played earned our team points, and whoever got the most points was allowed to choose their presents first from under the tree. My team won! So, we were able to choose first. I managed to get a really cute cup. I was so happy! It was a really great start to the month.

My friends and I decided to have a Christmas party between ourselves, since most people were going away in December. We had it at Georgia's apartment, and it was a secret santa! So, we all had to buy gifts in secret (which ended up being really difficult!). I bought a Japanese Christmas cake for the party which was around 35 dollars. It was quite small, but it was a seriously delicious cake! Plus, we couldn't have a Japanese Christmas without one. We listened to Christmas music, ate and opened presents. It was really fun. I got Rhiannon for my secret santa, and she couldn't guess it was me! Actually, pretty much no one could guess who had who, because literally anyone could've gotten us the presents we got. I got a really cute Gudetama toy from Sophie - it's literally the cutest. One of the best Christmas' I have had.



For our dorms Christmas party, it was a big celebration like always. We ate together and played little games in a group. In order to go to the party, we had to bring a 200 yen gift. I bought some chocolate from the supermarket. When it came to receiving gifts, we did a pass the parcel and whatever we had last was our present. I got a really cute santa candle, but unfortunately I cannot light candles in the dorm so I'll have to wait until I get home.

Finally, real Christmas arrived. Pretty much everyone was in Tokyo, so just me, Georgie and Rhiannon were left. I had saved the Christmas presents Dad and Jo until Christmas and got to open them under the tree in the multipurpose room. I felt really happy because I could open them with friends around listening to Christmas music, which is how I like it. Then, while I prepared the room, Rhiannon and George bought some groceries so we could make a semi-roast. It wasn't anything magnificent but it felt so good to be eating a roast on Christmas. We all felt a little homesick, I think. Watching Christmas movies until midnight, it was a really good way to spend the day. I didn't know what to expect of Christmas in Japan, but I was so happy with how I spent it.



No comments:

Post a Comment