Sunday 10 January 2016

22/11/2015 - Christmas Markets

It’s really fun seeing how different countries celebrate Christmas. Before coming to Japan, I knew Christmas was big and that they decorated the cities, but I also knew of it being only a couple’s holiday. So, I wasn’t sure what to expect of Christmas. Since it was only November when my friends decided to take me to the Japanese Christmas markets, I was suddenly so excited.

My friends from Europe told me all about their Christmas and how amazing it is, with light displays and markets. With it being cold, it also has a different atmosphere. I was jealous, because I think in Australia, it’s not as spectacular. I’m not sure what I expected from the markets – probably just some stalls with the theme of Christmas, but it ended up being so much more than that!


When arriving, I think my German friends felt especially at home. The market was set up with stalls like I thought, but they looked like little houses instead of regular stalls. They were all snow topped and sold lots of German desserts – including green apple popcorn! But, it was the tree in the middle of the markets that really made me so happy. It was large and important and beautiful and I loved it. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t cry a little, but I think I was just overwhelmed since it was my first Christmas away from home. I didn’t want to leave.


No comments:

Post a Comment