Wednesday 9 September 2015

08/09/15 - Orientation Week

Today I woke up and I honestly felt very aimless. I don't have much confidence to walk to the shops by myself yet, and because I don't have any groceries there isn't anything to eat. I pretty much waited around for a few hours until I saw someone familiar. Eventually someone came out of their rooms at 11:30am and said they would walk me to the shopping centre so I could buy some breakfast, and I was so grateful. We both vented about the pillows and how their rice fillings were very uncomfortable along the way.

Upon arriving, I was surprised about how well laid out everything was. Not only did they have more cheap already prepared food than Australia, but it looked super delicious! I was tempted to get some but at that moment I decided to go for the cheapest option... cup ramen. There were too many options and eventually I just went with the one that had the most advertisements around Japan. It had mini shrimp and some yellow stuff in it? And some meat I think as well. It was surprisingly very tasty!

At 2:50 a group of us in the dormitory had to go to the government office and register our ID cards and also sign up for medical insurance. It took a while and was pretty boring. But, because of this trip we met a really nice girl. I can't remember name, but she was volunteering for the group and after everything was done processing she decided to come grocery shopping with Amy and myself! We went to the 100 yen store to pick up some essentials and then to the grocery store where I just bought eggs and rice. They have white eggs here! (They kind of look fake though) Also, they are so cheap. I bought 12 eggs for 92 yen! I also tried this strange sandwich that was just ham and mayonnaise. It was so delicious! I could eat a thousand probably.

Then tonight it was the first Welcome Party! It was more like an introductory night, though. We had a thorough tour of the dorms and got to know our RA's well. I love my RA's so much. They said they want to go clubbing together with me! The orientation was very scary because all 100 of us were in a large circle and we had to introduce ourselves. I was so nervous but I managed to do it. Hopefully my introductions get better over time, because I think I will have to do many in the future. Then, we played a game of fruit salad. People got very overexcited I think! But anyway, it was all really fun.




















nce I hadn't had dinner, I was talking to Amy about cooking dinner and she mentioned eating dumplings with her RA and then I was invited to eat with them! A girl called Lindsey had made Chinese dumplings and given them to her to share and they were so delicious. I wish I wasn't still hungry. I think tomorrow is a big day because we are opening Japanese bank accounts and taking a tour of our University, but honestly I'm not entirely sure what's the plan. I've started making some real connections though I think. I just need to work on my confidence now. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment