Wednesday 7 October 2015

07/10/15 - Clubbing

On Saturday night (03/10/15) I went out clubbing for the first time, and it was one of the longest but funnest nights I have had so far. It started pretty similarly to how I would get ready for going out in Australia - get ready in my room while listening to music to pump myself up. Then, we all met downstairs in the multipurpose room around 9 to leave for Namba.

One stand out thing about Japan so far is that you can drink alcohol pretty much anywhere you want. So, in having that freedom, after meeting everyone finally in Namba (which I have to say is still the coolest city at night) we went to the Family Mart just outside Club Wax and bought the cheapest alcohol we could and drank on the street. We all managed to get drunk pretty quickly somehow and it was only 11pm.

Entering the club was like some amazing fortress. It looked like it was built in rome and shipped to Japan with the columns and everything. But, walking inside was completely different. Inside was... Insane. I don't know what I expected from a Japanese club, but I definitely was impressed. There were fish tanks on every single wall (even in the bathroom). And, they didn't even have cheap fish. They had tonnes of specialty fish. To top it off, at the back of the room they had otters! Why? They're so cute, but I don't think I ever expected to see them in a club.

Downstairs was completely different, it was just full of blocks where girls (only!) could dance on. Emphasis on the only because so many of my guy friends tried to join us on the stages to dance but were pulled off by security guards. My poor friend George was even pulled by the belt and landed on the ground. But, I think downstairs was more fun. It was packed full of people and everyone was dancing. Upstairs, was very, very strange.

For the first couple hours arriving in the club. Only the foreigners (us) were dancing, and the Japanese people were all staring at us and not moving. They only joined the dance floor around 2am. I think the upstairs is more for people looking to hook up. But, we were just trying to have fun. While it wasn't busy it was good to take advantage of the nomihodai (again for girls only).

The boys were so angry because clubs in Japan seem to be so geared towards giving women more of a better experience. For example, only women can sit down in the club, women get nomihodai and women get free entry. However, there's only like 30% of women in clubs to 70% men so I think I understand why they do it.  No complaints from me!

We were all in the club for a couple hours but then George and Rhiannon were looking at the Otters and started getting really depressed and they suddenly decided they wanted to leave. I was drunk so I decided to go too - plus, they promised me ramen. On a whim, though, we decided to go to karaoke instead. We were there for an hour and we sounded so terrible! I think there was something in the alcohol maybe...

Then around 3am we were hunting for a ramen shop in Namba. There were so many places around. It took us quite a while but it was really fun just walking around for ages. We eventually found a Ramen place and bumped into two of our other friends Misaki and Harrison who just turned around from eating their ramen! It was the craziest thing. We all sat together and ate our ramen, gyoza and rice all while trying not to throw up and it was so much fun. When we left, we found Misaki and Harrison who had left a bit earlier than us laying in the street. At first I didn't recognise them, but I had to go back and check.

Because we were all waiting for the first train in the morning on the Sunday, they were really tired. We decided to all stick together and walk to Shinsaibashi and catch the direct train home, rather than the transfer train. We met some weird Canadians on the way back, saw some people who looked like the yakuza, police arrested some people and I felt like I had experienced a pretty good first night out in Japan. We slept on the train home and walked home in the daylight at 6:30am just thinking about everything that happened that night. I'd like to go out and have a night like that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment